ABOUT ASCENSION PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Ascension Public Schools is one of the largest school districts in Louisiana, and the largest to consistently maintain an “A” rating in the Louisiana Department of Education’s accountability system. The district is the largest employer in the parish with approximately 3,100 employees, including 2,000 teachers. It enrolls 24,000 students in 31 schools and 3 programs. An A-rated school district since letter grades were introduced in 2011-12, Ascension Parish currently ranks 4th in Louisiana for District Performance Scores and 1st for Progress Index.
The district is governed by the Ascension Parish School Board, comprised of 11 elected members.
The mission of Ascension Public Schools is to provide every child the high-quality education necessary to succeed in an ever-changing world.
A world in which every child is prepared to successfully pursue postsecondary opportunities of their choice.
Ascension Public Schools will work in unison to provide daily quality experiences for students so they have every opportunity to attain high levels of academic development, discover their talents and interests for skill development, and grow in emotional maturity. This will enable students a successful pursuit of a quality life and an opportunity to contribute to the quality of the lives of others in their community.
LEADERSHIP | LEARNING | SERVICE | TEAMWORK
QUALITY EXPERIENCES FOR ALL STUDENTS
Set the stage for learning and remove all barriers so as to ensure “quality experiences for ALL” students that contribute to their achievement and provide them the opportunity to reach their full potential as outlined in the District’s Portrait of a Graduate.
Collaborate with all stakeholders to embrace the value of diversity through fostering inclusive work and learning environments in which all backgrounds and individual differences are acknowledged and valued to ensure academic, professional, and social emotional needs are met to maintain a healthy organization.
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH FOR ALL
Empower employees and foster continuous growth so that each employee reaches their full potential through professional development. Career progression and an understanding of the entire organization’s vision are necessary to achieve maximum success to support students.
EMPLOYEE RECRUITING & RETENTION
Select the most qualified employees, instill, sustain, and motivate them to be their best to ensure longevity until retirement.
COMMITMENT TO CORE VALUES
Demonstrate professional behavior and commit to Ascension Public Schools Core Values of Teamwork, Service, Leadership, and Learning throughout our pursuit of excellence.
Communicate instructional and non-instructional goals and objectives to all levels of our organization and stakeholders. Convey the progress of our work and the measures that will be taken to improve in needed areas. Actively listening to the voice of those that we collaborate with and serve is part of communicating.
Maintain public confidence by communicating and implementing clear objectives in a way that is effective and efficient. Maximize the use of all resources to align with district and stakeholder priorities.
Ensure a safe and orderly environment that instills confidence that students, parents and adults are physically, socially, and emotionally stable.
- Exhibit content knowledge and skills in reading and math
- Demonstrate academic competence to achieve goals toward life-long learning and workplace success
- Seek opportunities to apply 21st century skills in an Information-based and highly technical society
- Think critically and ask questions in order to form creative solutions
- Collect and understand relevant information to form conclusions
- Demonstrate the ability to work with others in order to achieve a common goal
- Form and share ideas
- Analyze and form arguments considering a variety of perspectives
- Recognize that success in a collaborative project may require new ways of thinking and doing
- Communicate effectively in diverse environments
- Listen with the intent to understand
- Speak in a clear, concise, and purposeful manner to inform, influence, motivate, or entertain listeners
- Incorporate effective writing skills for various purposes and audiences
- Use technology and a variety of media to explore and exchange ideas
- Use feedback to recognize areas in need of improvement
- Surround oneself with positive and healthy relationships to promote physical and mental wellness
- Embrace diversity and stand up for oneself and others
- Participate in civic processes and obligations to be of service to others at a local, state, national, and global level
- Communicate in multiple forms effectively to make meaningful connections
- Show responsibility in personal and group situations
- Display independence and self-sufficiency
DETERMINED AND RESILIENT LEARNERS
- Can push through adversity to overcome obstacles
- Achieve goals despite any missteps, challenges, or negative feedback
- Seek and accept feedback to help in accomplishing difficult tasks
- Adjust to new conditions, different roles, unpredictable situations, and shifting concepts
- Recognize that there are several paths to achieve a desired outcome
The Ascension Parish School District and its schools are internationally accredited by Cognia, formerly known as AdvancED. The school system's accreditation process is on a 5-year cycle. The district was last reaccredited in 2021 with glowing marks.
As part of the accreditation review process, the school system administers stakeholder surveys for a comprehensive look at the district and its schools. The following are links to the latest stakeholder surveys:
ABOUT COGNIA ACCREDITATION
GUIDING THE PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
Based on a set of rigorous research-based standards and evidence-based criteria, the accreditation process examines the whole institution–its policies, programs, practices, learning conditions, and cultural context–to determine how well the parts work together to carry out the institution’s vision and meet the needs of every learner. Accreditation isn’t about passing a one-time inspection. Rather, accreditation recognizes education providers that demonstrate and sustain their commitments to continuous improvement and better learner outcomes.
Cognia accreditation represents the unified policies and procedures for accreditation and certification from its Accreditation Divisions:
- North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI)
- Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC)
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI)
NCA CASI, SACS CASI, and NWAC comprise three of the six regionally recognized K-12 accrediting bodies and together have been accrediting institutions for 125 years.
For more information, visit www.cognia.org/services/accreditation-certification.
Each year Ascension Public Schools creates executive summaries of Strategic Plans for the Administrative, Instructional, and Operations divisions.