Special Education Advisory Council
Location of meetings:LeBlanc Special Services Center 611 N. Burnside Ave. Gonzales, LA 70737 3rd Floor Conference Room or ZOOM
The Ascension Special Education Advisory Council (Ascension SEAC) is an opportunity for parents, district staff, and community stakeholders to provide advice and feedback regarding special education policies, procedures, and resources. The members of Ascension SEAC shall engage in outreach activities in the community to increase the level of knowledge, support, and collaboration in regard to special education. This year's council will consist of 9 members. Each member will be appointed for a one-year term and will act as an advisory council to the superintendent and/or the school board. The Ascension SEAC will meet six times per school year.
1. During the December 2021 meeting, a motion was passed to formally request additional meetings. This request was presented to our Superintendent and was granted. Effective beginning February 2022, there will be 6 meetings per school year.
2. During the December 2021 meeting, a motion was passed to formally request increasing the number of members from 4 to 8. This request was presented to our Superintendent and was granted. Beginning in the 2022-2023 school year, the council will consist of 8 members, 4 shall be parents of a child who receives special education services, 2 shall be an Ascension Parish Principal, Teacher or Paraprofessional, and 2 shall be special education stakeholders.
3. During the December 2021, a motion was passed to alternate the time of the meetings to accommodate more parents. This request was presented to our Superintendent and was granted. Beginning with our next meeting, the times will alternate between noon and 6:00pm.
1. A Welcome Packet to be given to all families new to the Ascension Parish Special Education program.
2. A one-page IEP informational sheet given to families in our Special Education program prior to their child's IEP meeting.
3. An anonymous survey for teachers to give opinions and feedback regarding needed support in the classroom.
SEAC Members (2022-2023):
Sagan Allen-Williams (parent), Lisa Bacala (other stakeholder), Leslie Borskey (parent), Jade Brignac (parent), Lynette Gros (parent), Eileen Jorgenson(parent), Weston Moreau (parent), Briaon Landry (parent), Marvin Reed (parent), Elizabeth King (Special Education Teacher), Lynn Hathway (Chairperson)
Meeting Dates for Ascension SEAC Meetings:
August 31, 2022 (Agenda) (Minutes)
October 26, 2022 (Agenda) (Minutes)
December 14, 2022 (Agenda)--Cancelled due to school closure-weather day
February 23, 2023 (Agenda)